Sambaro is made with cabbage, carrots, green chilies and mango. It is an accompaniment to a lot of dishes, eg ganthias, parathas. hondavo and kitcharo to name a few. It can be as spicy as you want or as mild as you want. It is also sweet and sour.
Sambaro is eaten cold and can be stored in the fridge for a couple of days.
- 1 green mango
- 2 carrots
- 10 jalapeño
- 1 green cabbage (about 2 lb)
- 4 tbsp oil
- 5 curry leaves
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp haldi (tumeric powder)
- 1/2 tsp citric acid or
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Rinse and cut the mango and carrots into long and thin strips (1 1/2 x 1/4 inch).
- Cut the jalapeño into quarters length wise.
- Finely shred the cabbage.
- In a medium saucepan heat the oil, add the curry leaves, mustard seeds and cumin seeds. When the mustard seeds start to pop add the mango, carrots and jalapeno and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the salt, crushed black pepper and cumin, turmeric powder, citric acid and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the cabbage, mix everything and cook for 10 minutes till the cabbage is soft.
- Add the sugar and mix.