Rugalahs are one of the most requested Hannukkah cookies. When the nut-and-fruit crescents bake, they ooze ever so slightly, and the rich filling crisp and caramel-like around the crescents.
- 1 pkg(250g) cream cheese softened
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/2 cup golden raisins(optional)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup apricot jam
- In bowl, beat cream cheese with butter until fluffy: beat in sugar.
- Stir in flour in 2 additions.
- Form into ball: cut into quarters and shape into discs. Wrap each and refrigerate for 2 hours. (make ahead: Refrigerate up to 24 hours.) Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- In a bowl, stir together pecans, raisins (if using), granulated sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl stir jam with 1 tsp water.
- On lightly floured surface, roll out 1 disc into 11”(28cm) circle. Spread 3 tbsp of the jam mixture evenly over top; sprinkle with one-quarter of the nut mixture.
- Cut into 12 pie-shaped wedges; starting from wide end, roll up each wedge.
- Place, about 2”(5cm) apart, on parchment paper or foiled lined baking sheets.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Topping: Brush egg over crescents. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in 350 degree F(180 degree C) oven until golden, about 25 minutes.
- Let cool on pans on racks for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to racks and let cool completely.