Today I invited a couple of friends for breakfast. We will have Masala Paratha, Riata, Mango Chutney and Goor Kari(sweet mango pickle) I am using wheat flour and Bajro flour(Millet flour ) Bajro is a very healthy flour.
The Paratha is an important part of a traditional Indian breakfast. It originated in North India and was then accepted in different parts of the Indian Subcontinent. Traditionally, people make it using ghee (clarified butter) but nowadays some people use oil for health reasons. Usually the paratha is eaten with chai and raita as part of a breakfast meal.You can also get stuffed paratha , which may be stuffed with potatoes, paneer (Indian cheese), onions, keema (ground meat), Lentils, or Spinach. Foregoing are a few examples. You can also make sweet paratha, using almonds and coconut.
A paratha (especially a stuffed one) can be eaten simply with a blob of butter spread on top; with chutney, with pickles and yogurt; or with meat or vegetable curries. Some roll the paratha into a tube and eat it with tea, often dipping the paratha into the tea.
The paratha can be round, square or triangular.
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cup Bajro (millet flour)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp Sesame Seeds
- 1/2 tsp freshly crushed Cumin
- 1/2 tsp freshly crushed Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp crushed Jalapeno pepper
- 1 tbsp finely chopped Mint
- 1 tbsp finely chopped Cilantr0
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh or frozen Fenugreek leaves(methi)
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 oil for frying.
- In a medium size bowl put the 2 types of flour, salt, sesame seeds, cumin, black pepper, turmeric powder, jalepeno, mint , cilantro and oil. Rub the oil till the mixture is like bread crumbs. Pour the water and make a stiff dough. Kneed the dough for 5 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 10 equal balls. Make a nice round ball. On a floured surface flatten the dough with your hand and then roll it to about 7 inches.
- Cook this on the stove in a preheated tava(tava is a flat Indian frying pan), on a medium heat. If you do not have a tava use a frying pan.
- Cook both sides for about half a minute on each side.(You will see bubbles forming). Brush it with oil and turn it. Brush oil on the other side, cook each side for about a min and put it on a paper towel to drain the oil.
Serve it with, Riata, Mango Chutney, or Goor Kari and tea.
Note: You can make paratha with whole wheat flour only.