Katlu is a mixture of a lot of different spices, mixed together. Katlu is given to new mothers, help her recover. Katlu can be bought from any Indian grocery store or you can make your own.
- Turmeric helps heal internal wounds
- Fenugreek seeds prevents back and joint pain.
- Ajwain (carom seeds) soothes pain due to gas and indigestion.
- Dry ginger offers health benefits.
- Goond is an edible gum resin that is extracted from the bark of a tree. Goond provides heat to our body and usually eaten in winter months.
- 1/2 cup viriyari
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup dill seeds
- 1/4 cup ajwan
- 2 tblsp dried ginger
- 1 tsp nutmeg powder
- 1 tsp cardamon powder
- 1/2 tsp saffron
- 1/4 lb goond
- 2 cups oil for frying
- 1 1/2 lb unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 lb 100% whole wheat flour
- 1 cup powder milk
- 1 1/4 lb almonds
- 3/4 lb goor (jaggery)
- 1/4 cup water
In a coffee grinder, grind viriiyari, coconut, dill seeds, ajwan.
In a frying pan heat the oil. When the oil is hot add 1 tbsp of goond at a time. The goond will pop up and it will be transparent. Turn it and make sure the goond is transparent on all sides. Take it our of the frying pan into a colander and let it drain. Leave it aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium hot heat, melt 1-1/4 lb butter and fry the whole wheat flour. The flour is ready when the butter starts bubbling and the flour is golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, add the viriyari, dill seeds, ajwan, ginger, nutmeg cardamom, crushed almonds,
- In a food processor, chop the almond and add this to the flour mixture.
- In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, add chopped goor, remaining 1/4 lb butter and 1/4 cup of water. Let it cook till the goor melts and the mixture starts to bubble, about 10 minutes.
- Pour the goor mixture into the flour mix and mix well.
- Add the goond and mix well.
- Over medium heat cook the mix for about 5 minutes stirring continuously.
- Pour the mix into a well greased 10 X 12 inch cake tin. Spread it evenly. Sprinkle kas kas, slivered almonds and slivered pistachios. Roll it with a rolling pin to make it smooth, or smooth it with the back of a spoon.Let it set overnight.
- With a sharp knife cut into square or diamonds and serve.
The pak can be stored in an air tight container for a couple of weeks
4 thoughts on “Katlu Pak”
Thank you! I am happy I found this wonderful recipe.
Can we use katlu powder? If yes how much and what do I minus from the ingredients?
You can use ready powder. 3 tablespoons and add the coconut. Omit the 1st 5 ingredients