- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose
- 1/4 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 oz butter, room tempreture
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs, room tempreture
- 1 tbsp raspberry liqueur(optional)
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 4 oz bittersweet chocolate(61% cacao), melted and cooled
- 4 pkg (6 oz each) fresh raspberries(6 cups)
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Chocolate Frosting(recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Light grease 3 8 by 2 inch round cake pans with cooking spray. Line bottom with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
- In another large bowl, beat butter with sugar on high speed until light and fluffy, 3 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in liqueur.
- Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with buttermilk in two batches. Beat to combine, scraping down sides of the bowl as needed.
- Beat in melted chocolate.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared pans, smoothing tops with an offset spatula.
- Bake rotating pans halfway through front to back and top to bottom, until a tester inserted in centre comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
- Let cakes cool in pans on a wire rack 10 minutes.
- Run a small knife around edges then invert onto rack. Remove parchment and let cool completely, about 25 minutes.
- With a serrated knife, trim tops of cakes so they are level.
- While cakes are baking, stir together 3 cups raspberry, sugar, salt and lemon juice in a medium saucepan.
- Cook over high heat, stirring frequently and mashing with the back of a spoon, until mixture comes to a boil, 2 minutes.
- Continue to cook, stirring, until mixture thickens and clings to spoon, 7 to 8 minutes more.(you should have 1-1/3 cups).
- Let cool 30 minutes.
- Stir in 2 cups raspberries, reserving remainder.
- Spread half of the filling over one cake.
- Top with the second layer; spread remaining filling over top.
- Top with final layer, cut-side down.
- Refrigerate covered, at least 1 hour and up to overnight.
- Spread frosting over top and sides of cake.
- Garnish with remaining raspberries.
- 21/4 cups icing sugar
- 1/4 Dutch process cocoa powder
- pinch of coarse salt
- 6 oz cream cheese, room tempreture
- 6 oz unsalted butter, room temperature
- 9 oz bittersweet chocolate(61% cacoa) melted and cooled
- 3/4 cup creme fraiche or sour cream
- Sift together sugar, cacao, and salt.
- Beat cream cheese with butter on medium-high speed until smooth.
- Reduce speed to medium-low; gradually add cocoa mixture and beat until combined.
- Pour in chocolate in a slow, steady stream.
- Add cream fruit; beat until combined.
Frosting can be stored in refrigerator up to 5 days; bring to room temperature and beat before using.