Makes 5 doz
- 2 jars(8 oz each) maraschino cherries
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup butter, room tempreture
- 1 sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 4 cups cornflakes, coarsely crushed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 2 large cookie sheets. Finely chop 1/2 cup cherries and set aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl, set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar in a a large mixer bowl at medium high speed until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, then milk and vanilla, until smooth.
- With mixture at low speed, beat dry ingredients just until blended.
- Stir in chopped cherries and nuts.
- Divide dough into quarters and shape into disks. Wrap and refregerate overnight.
- Spread cornflakes on large plate. Working with one disk at a time, divide dough and roll into 1-inch balls, then roll in cornflakes to coat.(Keep remaining rough refregerated.)
- Place 2 inches apart on a prepared cookie sheets.
- Cut 30 cherries in half. Gently press a cheery half onto centre of each cookie.
- Bake 12 – 14 minutes, until browned.
- Transfer cookies to wire rach to cool.
- Repeat process with remaing douch, cornflakes and cherry halves.