- Makes 1 four-layer cake, serves 10 – 12
- This recipe also makes two 6-inch cakes: Use four 6-
- by 2-inch round cake pans, and spread each layer with
- one-half cup of frosting.
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup (3 oz) pecan halves
- 1 lb large carrots, peeled
- 3 large egg, room temperature
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups sugar
- 1- 1/2 cups butter, melted
- 1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 Cup Pecan halves for decoration
- Heat oven to 300 degrees. Spray two 8-by2-inch round cake pans. Spread Pecans in a plate and microwave it for 1 minute. Let it cool completely. Finely chop pecans, and set it aside.
- Using the smallest holes (less than 1/4 inch in diameter) of a box grater, grate carrots, yielding 2 1/2 cups. Place carrots, eggs, buttermilk, vanilla, sugar, butter and ginger in a large bowl; whisk until well combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Using a rubber spatula, fold the flour mixture into the carrot mixture until combined. Fold in the toasted pecans.
- Divide batter between two cake pans, and bake until a cake tester inserted into the middle comes out clean, about 1 hour. Remove pans from oven, and transfer to a wire rack to cool, 15 minutes. Turn cakes out onto a rack; let stand until completely cool.
- Using a serrated knife, trim tops of the cakes so surfaces are level. Slice each layer in half horizontally. Place a layer on a cake stand or cardboard round, and spread 3/4 cup frosting over top. Place a second cake layer on top, and spread with another 3/4 cup frosting. Repeat with third layer and another 3/4 cup frosting. Place last cake layer on top, and spread with remaining frosting over the top and the sides of the assembled cake. Decorate with pecan halves. Transfer to refrigerator, and chill 3 to 4 hours.
Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
Makes 5 cups
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 eight-ounce bars cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 1 tbsp freshly grated orange zest
- 2 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- pinch of salt
- Place butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, and beat on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add cream cheese, and beat until well combined and fluffy, about 2 minutes more. Add the remaining ingredients and beat 5 minutes more.
Use immediately, or store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to two days.