Batakiya is vagarala chapattis or/and rotlo(curried rotli or rotla). You take a day old or couple of days old chapatti or rotla, make it into batakiya and have it for lunch. We would always ask our mother to make extra chapattis so, we can have batakiya for lunch.
- 6 day old chapatti or
- 1 day old rotla
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp jeera
- 1 medium onion finely sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes finely chopped
- 2 tsp green masala
- 1 level sp dhana jeera(coriander and cumin powder)
- 1/4 tsp haldi
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp red chillies
- 1 cup yoghurt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
- With your hands tear the chapatti or rotlo into 1inch pieces.
- In a medium saucepan heat the oil, add the jeera(cumin seeds) and sliced onions. Fry the onions till they are golden brown about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, green masala, dhana jeera(corriander and cumin powder) haldi(turmeric powder) salt, and cook for 5 min till the oil separates.
- Add the yoghurt, cook stirring for 2 minutes till the mixture starts to bubble. Add the water and mix well. Lower the heat to medium, add the torn chapatti, cook covered for 5 minutes. The chapattis will have absorbed the liquid and the mixture should be moist not dry.
- Sprinkle the chopped cilantro before serving.