Eggplant is the fruit of a plant which originated in India. Eggplant is a berry eaten as a vegetable. There are a few varieties of eggplants. The purple skinned eggplant, which as an elongated form like a large pear, is the most well-known variety. The Asian eggplant refers to varieties that can be as small as an egg, long and thin. The thin, smooth skin can be dark or light purple, cream, white, green or orange. The yellow-white flesh is spongy and contains small brownish edible seeds.
Western Eggplant Italaian Eggplant
Asian long Eggplant
- 1 egg plant (western)
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 1 tsp green masala
- 1/2 tsp dhana jeera (corriander and cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp haldi (turmeric powder)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
- Rinse the eggplant and cut in half. With a pastry brush(or your fingertips), brush the eggplant with oil and bake in a preheated 350 degrees oven for 20 minutes(Cut side down). The egg plant will be soft when done.
- In a small saucepan heat the oil and sauté the onions till they are transparent. Add the chopped tomatoes, green masala, dhana jeera, haldi, and salt and cook it for five minutes.
- With a fork loosen the flesh of the egg plant and add this to the saucepan. Discard the skin. Mix well, cook for a couple of minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro before serving.
- Serve with chapatti or rotlo.