Aloo Paratha is a Popular breakfast of unleavened whole wheat bread stuffed with a spiced potato stuffing. Aloo can be spiced to your taste and flavour. Aloo Paratha is one of the most popular paratha from Punjab. In Punjab the parathas are made with ghee and served with a dollop of butter.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp oil
- water as required for kneading
- 4 medium sized potatoes, boiled and mashed
- 1 jalepenio finely chopped
- 2 tbsp green onions finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp crushed black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp crushed cumin
- 1/4 tsp citric acid or
- lemon juice to taste
- 2 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp oil for cooking
Make the Dough.
- Rub the oil in the flour and make a soft dough using enough water.
- Let the dough rest for 20 minutes.
- Boil the potatoes and peel them.
- Mash the potatoes with a potato masher.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Potato mixture should be very smooth.
- Divide the dough into 5 balls.
- Roll 1 ball to about 5 inches.
- Make the potato mixture into the same size balls, flatten it a little.
- Put the filling in the centre, take the edge and start pleating and bringing the pleats to the centre.Join the pleats together, the pleats have to be joined well otherwise there will be gaps while rolling and the filling will come out.
- Sprinkle some flour and roll the paratha to about 6 inches.
- Cook on a hot tava like a chapatti, when the bottom is partly cooked ( it will change the colour), flip the paratha.brush it with oil, flip it again, this time this side has to cook more. Brush with oil and flip it again.
- Turn it again once on both sides.
- Serve it hot.
Serve with yoghurt and, green chutney.