This recipe was publish on Dec 1, 1992 by Canadian Living.
Canadian Living Test Kitchen Tips: to prevent crumbling when slicing the partially cooked log of dough, use a sharp chef’s knife and cut with firm, decisive strokes. Standing the cookies upright during the second baking ensures that they dry out evenly.
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour 425 ml
- 2 tsp baking powder 10 ml
- 3/4 cup whole almonds 175 ml
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar 175 ml
- 1/3 cup butter,melted 75 ml
- 2 tsp vanilla 10 ml
- 1 1/2 tsp grated orange rind 7 ml
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and almonds.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, sugar, butter, vanilla, and grated orange rind; stir into flour mixture until soft dough forms. Transfer dough to lightly floured work surface; with hands, form into smooth ball.
- Divide dough in half; roll each into 12-inch (30 cm) long log. Transfer to ungreased baking sheet.
- Brush tops with egg white; bake in 350 degree F (180 degree C) for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool on pan on rack for 5 minutes. Transfer each log to cutting board; cut diagonally into 3/4 inch (2 cm) thick slices.
- Stand cookies upright on baking sheet; bake for 20 – 25 minutes longer until golden. Let cool on rack.
Biscotti can be stored in airtight container for up to 2 weeks
Chocolate Chip Biscotti: Add 1/2 cup (125 ml) chocolate chips to flour mixture.
Hazelnut Biscotti: Substitute 3/4 cup (175 ml) whole hazelnuts for almonds.