Savoury Pastries are a popular features of Lebanese cuisine. They come in a variety of shapes and sizes, and the fillings are almost limitless.
Savoury pastries are excellent for mezze or light snack, but may also be served as part of the main course.
- 1 pkg. chopped frozen spinach
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/2. finely chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup finely chopped mint
- 1/2 cup finely sliced spring onions
- 1/2 tsp crushed garlic
- 1/4 cup pine nuts lightly fried in olive oil (optional)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp mixed spices
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Defrost the spinach and squeeze out all the liquid. Heat the oil. Add the spinach,chopped parsley, chopped mint, sliced spring onions, and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes stirring.
- Add the pine nuts, salt, black pepper, mixed spices, thyme and lemon juice. Cook till the mixture is fairly dry, about 5 min. Cool the mixture completely.
- If filo is exposed to air it will become dry. Before commencing this recipe, lay all the pastry flat on a tray and cover with greaseproof paper then a damp cloth and remove one sheet at a time.
- Cut the filo in half lengthwise, we need half the pastry. Cut it in half again.
- Brush one pastry sheet with oil. Put 1 tsp of filling in one corner and fold the corner in a triangle. Fold it in a triangle all the way.
- Arrange the pastries on a baking tray and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20 min or until light brown.