- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp green masala
- 1 tsp freshly ground cumin
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 medium onions
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 level tsp garam masala
- boiling water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 Idahoan mashed potato
- 4 eggs
- 6 cups oil for frying
- In a medium saucepan cook the ground beef with water on medium heat, stirring and breaking the lumps until the colour of the meat starts to change.
- Add salt, green masala, ground cumin and ground black pepper. Continue cooking until all the water has evaporated and the mixture is completely dry.
- When mixture is cool add chopped onions, chopped cilantro and garam masala.
- In a large bowl pour boiling hot water, salt and chilli powder. Add the mashed potato and mix well. Let it cool.
- Divide the potatoes into 20 and roll them into a ball the size of a golf ball.
- Roll the ball in bread crumbs and press it into to a patty in the palm of your hands. The patty should be about 2 1/2 inches round. Put 1 tbsp meat mixture in the centre and cover the meat with the potatoes. Use more bread crumbs if necessary. Shape it into a round.
- Make all the chops first and then fry them.
- Break the eggs and beat them. Add a 4 tbsp water and beat well.
- Heat the oil in a wok to medium hot. (The oil is ready when, if you put the end of the wooden spoon in oil and small bubbles form around it).
- Deep 1 chops at a time in eggs and deep fry it for 3 minutes turning once. (The oil should cover the chops). You can fry 5 chops at a time depending on the size of the wok.
Serve it with green chutney and lemon.
Idahoan Mashed Potato
You can use fresh potatoes too.
- 5 lbs russet potatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp chilly powder
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
- Peel and cub the potatoes in 1” cube.
- Half feel a large saucepan with water.
- Put the cubed potatoes in a colander and steam the potatoes till they are soft, about 15 minutes.
- Mash the potatoes with a potato masher.
- Add the salt, red chilly powder, chopped cilantro and mix well.
- Let the mixture cool a little.
- Make a ball about the size of a golf ball, and roll it in bread crumbs.
- On a piece of plastic wrap or a plastic bag flatten the ball into a 3” round.
- Add one and ah half tablespoon meat mixture, pick up the plastic and make a round potato chop.
- Remove the plastic make a smooth potato chop, dip it in beaten egg and fry for 2 minutes on each side.
- Drain on paper towel