Despite the use of papaya, which one may think of as sweet, this salad is actually savory. When not ripe, papaya has a slightly tangy flavor. The texture is crisp and firm, sometimes to the point of crunchiness.
The dish combines the four main tastes of the local cuisine of Thailand, sour lime, hot chili, salty, savory fish sauce, and sweetness added by palm sugar.
- 2 cups grated green papaya
- 2 cups grated green mango
- 1 grated carrot
- 1 red pepper
- 1/4 English cucumber
- 1 2” piece ginger
- 1 hot red pepper thinly sliced(optional)
- 2 limes
- 1/4 cup chopped mint
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 4 cups chopped lettuce
- 1/2 chopped peanuts
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar (or palm sugar)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 limes( juice)
- Coarsely grate all the vegetables and fruit or julienne cut them.
- Add the rind of limes.
- Mix everything except lettuce and peanuts.
- Line a deep dish with lettuce and add the salad.
- Mix the dressing ingredients in a small bottle.
- Before serving, pour the dressing on the salad and sprinkle with peanuts.