Makati is a rice cake made with rice and coconut. It is very popular in the coastal areas in East Africa.. It is served with Kuku Paka or eaten on its own as a snack. This recipe was given to me by my friend, Mrs. Adam.
- 1 1/2 cups Basmati rice
- 1 1/2 cups long grain rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp quick acting yeast
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 can(400 ml) coconut milk
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp crushed cardamon seeds(elichi)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 tsp kas kas for decoration
- Rinse rice and soak it overnight.
- In the morning drain the rice.
- Add 1 cup warm water, yeast and 2 tsp sugar. When this starts to form add the rice, cardamon seeds and coconut milk and blend it to a very fine consistency.
- Add the milk, mix it well, pour the mixture in a large bowl, cover it and let it rest in a warm place for 5 hours(in the oven). it will double in quantity.
- Add the sugar and mix well. Let it stand for half an hour.
- Heat a 9” fry pan, spray it with Pam or brush it with 1 tsp oil and 1 tsp butter.
- The fry pan must be hot, add half the mixture, cook covered on slow heat(Mark 4-5) for about 15-18 minutes. Sprinkle 1 tsp kas kas..
- Put the frying pan under the grill on the middle shelf for about 8 minutes, till it is golden brown on top. Brush it with butter.
- Serve it hot.
Note: I have used 2- 9” cake tins.