- 1 lb white flour
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground ajwan
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup water
- 6 cups oil for frying
- In a medium bowl add the flour, black pepper, cumin, ajwan and salt.
- Rub in the butter.
- Make a soft dough using the water. Knead the dough. Divide it into 4 quarters. Cover the dough with plastic wrap.
- On a floured board, roll out 1 quarter at a time. Roll the dough very thin. (about 14” round). prick with a fork. Take the 3 inch cookie cutter and cut the rounds.
- Deep fry in medium to hot oil till light golden in color. The puris should be crispy. Drain in a colander.
- Puris can be stored in an airtight container.
Puris can also be cut in strips or diamonds.
Katori and Cone Puris
- Roll your dough to 1/8″ thickness and 3″ larger than the bowl you are using. The dough should cover the bowl completely.
- Grease the katori, place the katori in the centre of the rolled puri and wrap the dough around it.
- In the medium hot oil drop the katori wrapped with dough and fry it.
- Oil will start filling up in the katori, BE CAREFUL.
- Once brown remove from oil and drain it on paper towel.
- Roll the dough to 1/8″. With a 4″ round cookie cutter, cut the rounds.
- Wrap the dough around the come. Moisten the edge with water and seal the edge.
- Deep fry them.