Makes about 4 dozens
- 1 cup soft butter
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 egg whites slightly beaten
- 2 cups finely chopped walnuts or pecans
- 4 tbsp red jelly or jam
- In a medium bowl, with wooden spoon, beat butter, sugar, egg yolks, and vanilla until smooth.
- Stir in flour just until combined.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Using hands, roll dough into balls 1 inch in diameter. Dip in egg white; then roll in walnuts.
- Place, 1 inch apart, on ungreased cookie sheets. With thimble or the handle of a wooden spoon, press centre of each cookie.
- Bake 10 – 12 minutes, or until a delicate golden-brown. Remove to wire rack; cool.
- Place 1/4 teaspoon jelly/jam in centre of each cookie. (Diced candied fruit may be used, instead of jelly, if desired)
I have used plum jam