Makes 15 Pieces
- 2 cups oil for frying
- 4 oz goond
- 1 lb butter
- 1 lb pacific powder milk
- 1/2 lb coconut
- 1 lb crushed almonds
- 12 oz sugar
- 1/2 tsp crushed cardomom seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 20 strands saffron
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup silvered almonds
- 1/4 cup slivered pistachio
- 1 tbsp white poppy seeds(kas kas)
- In a small saucepan on medium heat, heat oil and fry the goond, a little at a time. The goond will puff up and float on the top. Remove from the oil and drain in a colander.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter and saute the milk powder and coconut till it is golden brown. Remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Add the almonds, sugar, cardomom, nutmeg and saffron. Mix well.
- Return the saucepan to the heat on medium heat, stirring well (for about 5 minutes) till the sugar melts.
- Add the evaporated milk and goond and stir well till the butter separates. You
- Pour the mixture into a 10 x 12 baking tray. Spread the mixture evenly.
- Sprinkle almonds, pistachio and poppy seeds.
- Let cool completely.
- Cut into squares or diamonds.
The Pak can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for a couple of weeks.
It can be frozen too.