Makes 20 pieces
- 1/4 lb goond
- 1 1/2 lb butter
- 1 1/4 lb whole wheat flour
- 1 cup powder milk
- 1 1/4 lb crushed almonds
- 3/4 lb goor
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp cardamom seeds crushed
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg powder
- 1 tbsp kas kas(poppyseeds)
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup slivered pistachio
- 2 cups oil for frying goond
- In a frying pan heat the oil. When the oil is hot add 1 tbsp of goond at a time. The goond will pop up and it will be transparent. Turn it, making sure the goond is transparent on all sides. Take it out of the frying pan into a colander and let it drain. Leave it aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium hot heat, melt 1-1/2 lb butter and fry the whole wheat flour. The flour is ready when the butter starts bubbling and the flour is golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Add the milk powder and stir it for a few minutes.
- Remove from the heat, add the cardamom, nutmeg, crushed almonds, goond and mix well.
- In a medium saucepan, over medium heat add chopped goor, remaining and 1/4 cup of water. Let it cook till the goor melts and the mixture starts to bubble, about 10 minutes.
- Pour the goor mixture into the flour mix and mix well.
- Over medium heat cook the mix for about 5 minutes stirring continuously.
- Pour the mix into a well greased 10 X 12 inch cake tin. Spread it evenly. Sprinkle kas kas, slivered almonds and slivered pistachios. Roll it with a rolling pin to make it smooth, or smooth it with the back of a spoon let it set overnight.
- With a sharp knife cut into square or diamonds and serve.
The pak can be stored in an air tight container for a couple of weeks.