The flavour of this cake is inspired by Sicilian-style cannoli, which is stuffed with chopped chocolate and candied orange zest.
- 5 oz unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tbsp unsalted pistachios(3.5 oz)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp orange-flavoured water(optional)
- 2 large eggs plus 2 large egg yolk, room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 3/4 cups ricotta(about 1 1/2 lbs)
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup icing sugar
- 4 oz semisweet chocolate coarsely chopped
- 2 1/2 oz melted chocolate
- 4 oz candid orange peel, cut into a 1/4 inch dice
- Preheat oven to 350 Degree.
- Butter 2 – 8” round cake pans, bottom and sides.
- Line them with parchment paper.
- In a food processor finely bring pistachios. Remove and reserve 1/4 cup ground pistachios, then add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to processor and pulse to combine.
- Beat butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 mins.
- Add orange-flower water, beat to combine.
- Beat in egg s and egg yolks, one at a time, throughly combining after each addition and scraping down bowl as needed.
- Add pistachio mixture in 3 batches, alternating with sour cream and beginning and ending with pistachios mixture.
- Divid batter evenly between cake pans’ smooth tops with an offset spatula.
- Bake, rotating pans once, until tops spring back when lightly touched, 30 – 35 mins.
- Transfer pans to a wire rack; let cool 10 mins. Turn cakes out onto a rack; remove parchment paper and let cool 1 hour. wrap in plastic and refrigerate at least 1 hr or overnight.
- Meanwhile, combine ricotta and cream in a bowl of food processor; process until smooth.
- Add salt, vanilla, cinnamon, and confectioner’s sugar; process to combine.
- Transfer mixture to a bowling stir in chopped chocolate and orange peel.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container at least 1 hour and up to 2 days.
- Cut each cake horizontally into 2 layers. Stack on a cardboard cake round or a plate;.
- Brush edges with melted chocolate, then pat some of the reserved pistachios onto chocolate.
- Separate, then refrigerate in a single layer until set, 10 minutes.
- Place 1 cake layer on a cake stand, bottom-side down; spread 1 1/2 cups filling evenly over top, then place second layer on top.
- Repeat with remaining filling and cakes, finishing with a cake layer, bottom side up.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar and remaining reserved pistachios.