- 1 1/2 lb diced dried figs (6-10 figs), depending on the size of the figs
- 1/2 cup seeded, peeled orange, diced
- 1 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp grated orange peel
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp butter
- 2 (8oz canning jars)
- In a large saucepan, place all the ingredients, stir and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- bring the mixture to a boil stirring a few times in between. about 10 minutes.
- Let it simmer for about 10 minutes, the mixture should be transparent. If you spoon out a bit on a small plate that has been placed in the freezer, you can push the mixture with your finger tip to see how thick it is. It should wrinkle up, if it is runny, cook it a little more. You want to boil it down to 2 cups.
- Pour it in sterilzed jars.
You can also use fresh figs and add 1/2 cup sugar.