- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1/4 cup butter or vegetable oil
- 1 1″ cinnamon stick
- 6 cardamon pods
- 2 tsp golden raisins
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 tsp yellow colouring (powder)
- 1/2 tsp crushed cardiomon seeds
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg powder
- 2 tbsp slivered almonds (optional)
- 1-1/2. cups sugar
- Pinch Saffron
- Clean wash and soak the rice for 15 min.
- In a large saucepan heat the butter/oil.
- Add the cinnamon stick, cardamon, and raisins, when the raisins pop add 2 cups of water.
Add the food colouring.
- When the water starts to boil add the rice.
- When the rice starts to boil lower the heat to medium, cover the saucepan and let it simmer till all the water has evaporated.
- In the meantime boil 1 cup water with the sugar till the sugar dissolves.
- Add this syrup to the rice, add crashed cardamon, nutmeg and almonds, cover the saucepan and put it in the preheated 300 degree oven for about 15 min.
Serve with Gosht Wari Daal or Chana Daal