A halwa is a type of dessert made from various kinds of fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts and lentils. The ingredients in Halwa are usually grated finely and fried in ghee and sugar. Nuts and milk may also be added. Halwas have the consistency of a very thick pudding. Carrot halwa is made with fresh carrots.
- 2 lbs grated carrots
- 1/2 lb butter
- 1 can condensed milk
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg powder
- 1/2 tsp cardamom seeds crushed
- 1/4 tsp saffron
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds and pistachio
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan.
- Sauté the carrots till there is no liquid left about 15 minutes.
- Add the condensed milk, nutmeg powder, cardamom seeds crushed,and saffron.
- Put the lid on and put the saucepan in the preheated 350 degree oven for half and hour. It should be thick and dry.
- Garnish with almonds and pistachios before serving.