It’s easy to impress your guests with this elegant appetizer that features creamy Brie cheese topped with an unexpected combination of sweet and savory ingredients, all wrapped up in flaky puff pastry. This is a recipe I found in a magazine advertisement for Pepperidge Farm. It was a hit at thanksgiving party.
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp. water
- 1/3 cup dried cherries, softened
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted pecans
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary leaves or
- 1/4 tsp. dried rosemary leaves, crushed
- 1/2 Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Sheets (1 sheet), thawed
- 1 (15-ounce) Brie cheese round
- 1 pkg Crackers (your choice)
- Heat the oven to 400°F.
- Beat the egg and water in a small bowl with a fork or whisk.
- Stir the cherries, pecans, honey and rosemary in a small bowl.
- Unfold the pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface.
- Roll the pastry sheet into a 14-inch square(1/8” thick).
- Cut off the corners to make a circle.
- Spoon the cherry mixture in the center of the circle. Top with the cheese. Brush the edge of the circle with the egg mixture.
- Fold 2 opposite sides over the cheese.. Trim remaining 2 sides of the square to 2 inches from the edge of the cheese. Fold sides up cheese and press edges to seal.
- Place seamside down onto baking sheet.
- Decorate top with pastry scrap or additionional rosemary, if desired.
- Brush with the egg mixture.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown. Let stand for 45 minutes. Serve with the crackers.
Ingredient Note: To soften the cherries, stir the cherries and 1/2 cup hot water in a small bowl. Let stand for 1 minute. Drain the cherries and pat dry.