- 6 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 cups homo milk
- 1 1/2 cups (4 oz) sweetened coconut flakes
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extraxt
- unsalted butter, for the wrap
- Place egg yolks in a large bowl, whisk to combine, set bowl aside.
- Combine sugar, corn starch, and salt in a saucepan. Gradually whisk in milk. Cook, stirring, over medium heat until mixture thickens and comes to a boil, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Whisk 1/2 cup hot milk mixture into the reserved egg yolks to temper. Slowly pour warm yolks into the saucepan, stirring constantly. Cook slowly, stirring, over medium-low heat, until mixture begins to bubble, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in coconut and vanilla.
- Transfer filling to a medium mixing bowl.
- Lightly butter a piece of plastic wrap, and lay it directly on top of filling to prevent a skin from forming.
- Chill until firm, at least 1 hr.