- 50 ml room temperature milk
- 10 g yeast
- 350 g all purpose flour
- 10 g fine sea salt
- 20 g sugar
- 4 eggs
- 125 g soft butter
- 1 egg for glazing
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Whisk the yeast and milk together in a small bowl, then set it aside.
- Put the flour, salt, sugar into a food mixer fitted with a dough hook and mix to combine.
- Add the yeast mixture and eggs and mix until you have a soft, smooth dough. This will take about 5 minutes.
- Add the softened butter and beat for another 5 minutes until it is all incorporated and the dough is soft and shiny.
- Tip out onto a floured work surface and kneed until smooth.
- Transfer the dough to a clean bowl, cover with cling free and leave to rise in a warm place to rise for about 2 hours, until doubled in size.
- To make brioche buns or loaf, lightly flour a work surface then tip the dough out onto it and knock the air out.
- Divide the dough between brioche mould or place into a buttered loaf pan. Cover and leave in a warm room temperature place to double in size, about 1 hour.
- Pre heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat the egg yolk, brush over the top of the loaf or buns.
- Sprinkle with sugar and bake for 25 minutes, until golden brown and risen. The loaf or buns should be hollow when tapped on to the bottom.
- If you do not have a brioche mould, you can use a muffin pan. You can shape the buns in a knot or braid it.
- Divide the dough in 3 equal parts, roll it into an 18 inch rope and braid the loaf.