These flaky little pies may be the ultimate grab-and-go dessert.
Makes 8 pies
- 2 Bosc pears (1 lb), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/3 cup plus 1-1/2 tblsp sugar
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- pinch ground cloves
- pinch ground cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 1 14 oz package frozen puff pastry (thawed)
- 1 egg beaten
- Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, for serving
- In a medium bowl,toss the diced pears with 1/3 cup sugar, 1 tbsp flour and the cranberries, ground cloves, cinnamon and salt.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the puff pastry to a 14-1/2 inch square, about 1/8” thick.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the pastry into 8 squares.
- Spoon the pear filling onto a corner of each squares, leaving a 1/2 inch border.
- Fold the pastry over the filling to make a triangle and firmly press the edges to seal.
- Crimp the edges with a folk to allow steam to escape during baking.
- Transfer the pies to a baking sheet and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, until chilled.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Brush the chilled pies with the beaten egg and sprinkle them with the remaining 1-1/2 tablespoon sugar.
- Bake the pies for about 30 minutes, until they are golden brown.
- Let the pies cool for at least 5 minutes.
- Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.